The multi award winning Crown at Whitebrook, situated in the heart of the picturesque Wye Valley, in Monmouthshire, has again been named the best restaurant in Wales in the influential Good Food Guide 2013.
World class: The Crown at Whitebrook
The Crown at Whitebrook is the current AA restaurant Guide, Wales Restaurant of the Year 2011-12
The internationally renowned Crown, a Michelin star restaurant since 2007, has risen from 28 last year, 30 the year before and 36 the year before that to be placed 27 this year retaining its cooking score of 7 in the 2013 Which? guide.
Other celebrated restaurants rubbing shoulders with The Crown in the top fifty include Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck, at Bray, Berkshire; L’Enclume, Cumbria; Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottinghamshire; Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Cornwall, Gordon Ramsay, London and Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons, Oxfordshire.
The globally recognised guide consistently lists the crème de la crème of UK restaurants.
James Sommerin, Executive Head Chef at The Crown at Whitebrook, who is celebrating a dozen years at the restaurant, said: “This is simply fantastic news. What a brilliant way to mark 12 years at The Crown. Once more for The Crown at Whitebrook this is recognition of the highest order.”
The Caerleon, Newport born master chef said: “I always say that the talented team we have at The Crown at Whitebrook never rests on its laurels and is always moving forward. Constantly moving up in these prestigious rankings, year on year, underlines this statement. The entire team at the restaurant always challenges boundaries to give our customers new experiences producing the very best from our supreme Welsh produce.
“Being placed in the top 50 of the Good Food Guide in among all those equally prestigious restaurants and to be listed as the top restaurant in Wales, in what is among the most prestigious and highly regarded food guides in the world, is just recognition and reward for the excellence and dedication of the Crown Hotels and Restaurants’ team.”
Michael Davies, of Crown Hotels and Restaurants, owners of The Crown at Whitebrook said: “We are delighted to once more gain recognition from the Good Food Guide and to have been placed even higher in the list this year than last.
“We are constantly striving to improve at The Crown at Whitebrook. This acknowledgement in the Good Food Guide 2013 is a true reflection of, and tribute to, the incredible amount of hard work put in by everyone at the Crown at Whitebrook.”
The Good Food Guide 2012 is published on Monday, September 3 and can be ordered at www.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/shop
The Crown at Whitebrook awards:
Over the last couple of years, The Crown at Whitebrook, near Monmouth,the principal restaurant owned by Crown Hotels and Restaurants, has scooped an impressive number of awards, including the following:
· AA restaurant Guide: Wales Restaurant of the Year 2011-12
· Three AA rosettes
· 1 Michelin Star 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007
· Wales the True Taste – Wales Restaurant of the Year 2009/10
· Top 50 of The Good Food Guide 2013 (27) 7
· Top 50 of The Good Food Guide 2012 (28) 7
· Top 60 of The Good Food Guide 2011 (30) 7
· Top 50 of The Good Food Guide 2010 (36) 7
· Top 40 The Good Food Guide 2009 (40) 6
· AA Centenary Awards 2008 AAWine Award, Wales
· Top 40 in Eat Out Magazine’sTop 100 Best of the Best UK Restaurants
· AA 5 Star Restaurant with Rooms 2007/2008
· AA Premier Collection “Restaurant with Rooms” 2007/2008
· Visit Wales 5 Stars as Restaurant with Rooms 2007/2008
· Top Restaurant in Wales 2007 – The Observer
· Top 10 fine dining rooms in Britain 2007 – The Times
· Top 7 Restaurant with rooms in UK 2007 – The Sunday Times
· Les Routiers Restaurant of the Year for UK 2007
· Condé Nast Johansens top 3 wine lists in Great Britain 2007
· AA Commended Wine List 2008